A breast reduction is ideal for women who struggle with large breasts that cause them back, shoulder, and neck pain. Disproportionately large breasts also make exercising difficult for some women and lead to rashes beneath the breasts. A breast reduction in NYC can address chronic pain, improve posture, and allow easier participation in various physical activities.
Why Undergo a Breast Reduction?
Breasts that are large and hanging cause not only psychological concerns but also significant physical changes of the shoulders, spine, breathing capacity, exercise, tolerance and sensation. Breast reduction surgery removes extra tissue and fat from the breast to reduce back and shoulder pain, reduce the breast size, correct posture, and improve the patients overall lifestyle.
Breast Reduction Techniques
Breast reduction surgery may be performed using a variety of techniques. The technique chosen by the surgeon depends on the patient’s desired results and other factors. This includes the size and shape of the patient’s breasts along with the amount of tissue that needs to be removed. The most popular breast reduction techniques include:
- Inverted-T: This technique involves the surgeon making an incision around the areolar edge, a vertical incision down to the breast fold, and a curving horizontal incision in the fold. Also called an anchor incision, it is most popular for candidates who have uneven and/or sagging breasts. It’s also the most recommended technique for large reductions, since it removes a significant amount of tissue from the breast. Post-surgical marks can easily be covered by clothing or a bra.
- Vertical: For moderate breast reductions, this is the most popular technique. Also known as the ‘lollipop’, this technique involves the surgeon making an incision around the areola and a vertical line down to the fold. Extra fat and tissue is removed, which is followed by reshaping and lifting the breasts.
- Liposuction: This technique is recommended for small reductions and for candidates with tight breast skin. It involves sucking out excess fluids and fat from breasts through to reduce the overall size of the breasts. Liposuction for breast reduction is considered a less invasive procedure, and it offers an easier recovery process because of this.
Breast Reduction Preparation and Recovery
If you’re an eligible candidate for the surgery, make sure that you do the following things as they will help you during the recovery phase:
- Keep loose and comfortable front-fastening shirts ready for wearing
- Have ice packs ready for application (for pain management)
- Have clean towels, washcloths and gauze ready
- Buy creams and ointments (as suggested by the surgeon) for application post-surgery
Post-surgery, you may experience certain side effects such as bruising, swelling, redness, and numbness. These issues are to be expected and will improve over the course of the next few weeks. Also, remember to refrain from physical activity for at least one-week post-surgery.
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost for breast reduction procedures can be covered by insurance if the patient can prove evidence of health issues that necessitate the corrective surgery. The total price of breast reduction surgery includes anesthesia fee, surgeon’s fee, facility cost, post-surgery garments, medical tests, and medications.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Contact our office today to schedule a consultation for your breast reduction surgery with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Cap Lesesne. Dr. Lesesne can go over what to expect during and after your breast reduction and can answer any questions you may have regarding surgery so you can feel as comfortable as possible the day of your procedure.
Westchester County New York and State of New York: Day of Recognition Award for Emergency Roadside Surgery
Recognition, Metropolitan Police, UK, For Emergency Surgery